Read A History of the Muslim World to 1405: The Making of a Civilization by Vernon O. Egger Free Online
Book Title: A History of the Muslim World to 1405: The Making of a Civilization|
Date of issue: November 25th 2003
ISBN 13: 9780130983893
The author of the book: Vernon O. Egger
Format files: PDF
The size of the: 33.36 MB
Edition: Pearson Prentice Hall
Read full description of the books A History of the Muslim World to 1405: The Making of a Civilization:Muslims first appeared in the early seventh century as members of a persecuted religious movement in a sun-baked town in Arabia. Within a century, their descendants were ruling a vast territory that extended from the Atlantic Ocean to the Indus River valley in modern Pakistan. This region became the arena for a new cultural experiment in which Muslim scholars and creative artists synthesized and reworked the legacy of Rome, Greece, Iran, and India into a new civilization. "
A History of the Muslim World to 1405" traces the development of this civilization from the career of the Prophet Muhammad to the death of the Mongol emperor Timur Lang. Coverage includes the unification of the Dar a1-Islam (the territory ruled by Muslims), the fragmentation into various religious and political groups including the Shi'ite and Sunni, and the series of catastrophes in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries that threatened to destroy the civilization.
Balanced coverage of the Muslim world encompassing the region from the Iberian Peninsula to South Asia.
Detailed accounts of all cultures including major Shi'ite groups and the Sunni community.
Numerous maps and photographs featuring a special four-color art insert.
Glossary, charts, and timelines.
Read information about the author- Professor of History at Georgia Southern University (1983)
- B.A., Baylor University, 1970;
- M.A., Ph. D., University of Michigan, 1977, 1983
* Teaching and Research Interests:
- Religious and cultural history of the modern Muslim world
- Imperialism in the Middle East
* Selected Publications:
- A History of the Muslim World: The Making of a Global Community, 1260-Present (Upper Saddle Creek, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2007)
- A History of the Muslim World: The Making of a Civilization, to 1405 (Upper Saddle Creek, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2004)
- A Fabian in Egypt: Slamah Musa and the Rise of the Professional Classes in Egypt, 1909-1939 (Lanham, Maryland: University Press of America, 1986)
Add a comment to A History of the Muslim World to 1405: The Making of a Civilization
Read EBOOK A History of the Muslim World to 1405: The Making of a Civilization by Vernon O. Egger Online free